Friday 7 October 2011

5 Revealing SAT-I Exam Reports


Post from Durdana:


My SAT exam went very well till the 6th section but afterwards I felt a weird kind of tiredness, especially in the ten minutes section. Instead of speeding up my work I felt like going slower. My eyes were getting gloomy and hindering reading text. I finished it on time nonetheless. I found the math and the writing sections very easy but faced a little problem in managing time in the critical reading sections. I think I need more practice. The essay topic was not of the standard I was expecting but I still had problems looking for befitting examples. I think the first exam experience will help overcome problems in the next sitting. I wish I had opportunity to sit for more reasoning tests.


Post from Sarah:

Before the test date, I was confident about my speed to a certain degree. However on the test day, I found myself struggling to complete the math sections. Time was the only major setback for me. But I realized later that it was probably the new surroundings and slight stress of giving an exam that were slowing me down. Hopefully this problem will not arise in the December exam. Another unforeseen issue that arose on the test day was that I had problems with the pencils I had taken with me. I had been using three of the pencils I had taken with me for about a week before the exam and I ended up sharpening them over and over again. The blunder I made was that I had not checked whether the other 9 pencils I had taken with me were dark enough. Ofcourse they were all 2b pencils, but nevertheless, this mistake culminated in mounting frustration throughout the exam. I will definitely not make such a silly mistake in the upcoming tests. Fortunately I had no problems regarding health and concentration.

I have registered for the SAT II subject tests in Math IIC, Chemistry and Physics.

Post from Asif: [little editing added]

There was a strange feeling inside me, as if I am not going to make it this time and may as well end up at the back of the line. Waking up was a very big problem for me, as I could not sleep till 12 am the night before. .


Turning on the car air conditioner seemed to be a major factor, without which, our body will lose a good amount of salt with the sweat, crucially needed during the exam, as a snack before entering the test was not allowed. Thankfully, I was wearing very comfortable clothes, making it very easy for me to end up with full body power. Thank you for this advice beforehand.

The problems I faced during my exam, from the beginning till the end are:
  • They make us write a lot of things, in a lot places all around the answer paper and also the question paper, which made it really difficult for me to make use of the opportunity I got, to see the essay question and think about it.
  • Should have taken water with me. I forgot about water as I rushed out of my house, thinking more about the exam; a very big mistake. Fortunately, there was water and took little of it.
  • Math sections are very crucial for the overall exam confidence, as they gave sums which were arranged from easy to difficult. Everything went fine fine except for the last section of Math - where I got stuck, and it really did affect my morale.
  • Noise. People outside were acting as if they were hired to distract us. Really gets annoying when giving such a time tied exam.
  • The Critical Reading sections were all over not that shaky, but the writing parts were surprisingly not that good. Maybe practising more Critical Reading than Writing will help. Will have to fix that before the retake in December.
Post from Sukanya:

Sir,

My SAT exam was ok- neither good nor bad. Actually it was below my expectation. The most difficult task was finishing in time, especially the critical reading sections. I finished the maths sections on time because I left out questions which I felt I couldn't complete in time. The writing section was pretty good. But my major problem was the CRITICAL READING section. While preparing for SAT2 i would revise as much as critical reading as possible. Life seems to be swamped with hordes of studies but day by day I am getting used to it.

Post from Akila:

Hello sir

The exam was unsatisfactorily but expectedly 'just o.k.', as I mailed
you before. A few things popped into my mind later on. Firstly, the vocabulary questions were delightfully easy. I think I had confusion in only 2/3 words out of 10/11. The maths were comparatively difficult.

The first writing section was average, with the exception of one
question: it asked us which of a,b,c,d, and e would be best o include
after sentence 4. None suited the context particularly.

No comments: