Thursday 6 October 2011

4 Posts Yesterday - & a few other URGENT matters

TOP NOTE: 
There is no connection between your Undergrad Major and the Subjects that you take for Subject Test. So, you can take Literature + U.S. History and apply to the Physics/Biomedical Engineering. 
           This information is intended for a large number of students who had been asking me all sorts of Wild-Wild-Wild questions regarding these. 
SO - please no more queries on this issue.


There had been 5 posts yesterday.
  1. Protik - TOEFL Score
  2. "Ami aar partesi na"
  3. Finding the Voice and Others + Additional Notes
  4. Sample SAT-II Scheduling [V. V. Imp Post]
This is also to draw all's attention to the following issue. Although these issues had been repeated Over-and-Over again in the class - I am still receiving inquires regarding these issues.
  1. Everyone is going to RE-take SAT-I exam in December 2012. Out target score will be to go beyond 2050 [with at least a 630 in Critical Reading + 750 in Maths + 700 in Writing]
  2. We will send our Application Packs by the end of December by POST. 
  3. If any result comes out in Jan/Feb - we can send the result by e-mail or Fax to the relevant coll/univ.
  4. You can take 2 SAT-II subject tests. However, this year I am suggesting everyone to take 3 Subjects.
  5. SAT-II subject test preparations should be COMPLETED in the next 2 Weeks. You should work on Application at the same time.
  6. There will be only 14 days between SAT-II test date on 19th November and SAT-I Re-take on December 3rd. So, it is strongly advisable that you keep a SOFT practice on SAT-I items.
  7. Everyone is requested to send me a short report on the SAT-I exam that was held on the 1st October. I am posting a sample report for everyone to see. But actually choose whatever approach you want. 
Sample SAT-I report

Among the problems I had on the test day, the 3 most hectic ones were:
  1. I became really very tired by the 7th section, and was having considerable back-pain.
  2. I had a lot of problems in the critical reading section. Please suggest remedy. 
  3. I could not finish in time.
I am working on the vocabulary as i dont want to have any mistakes in the fill in the blank questions, but I am still not sure how to improve my scores in the critical section and tackle the time factor. 

Sir i have finished registering for the November and the December  exams. 


Comment on the above Report
  1. The issue of getting tired had been mentioned several times. The issue can be tackled with proper posture and practice.
  2. There is no REMEDY. One can ONLY improve by constantly working with Crit Reading. However, before the December exam we MUST finish all major tests at least 2 more times.
  3. The TIME is so fundamental that we need to develop a large number of strategies to tackle this. Most of these strategies had been discussed in the class.
  4. Working/Learning Vocabulary at home is a complete WASTE of time - the time can be better employed with increase and diversifying of Reading Items from the Web. Those who Engage their precious time for learning Vocabulary - will do so at their own Discretion - they are advised NOT to discuss this matter with me. 
  5. You must also know that ALL necessary words will be practiced in the CLASS.
  6. "still not sure" - this particular phrase in the above Report shows that the writer is fond of Automated/Cliched use of the language and that the writer is COMPLETELY unaware of the strength of individual words. The very concept of working towards SAT is thus frustrated. 
  7. Nevertheless, I thank Aaquib for sending me his responses regarding the test.
  8. Those who already sent their SAT-I test report need NOT send it again. 

No comments: