Tuesday 28 September 2010

Problems Persistent

The following post was provided by Arman. I have no doubt that many of you will see some of your problems reflected in it. We can talk about the issues in the next class. So, here it goes -


Dear Sir,

I am having serious problems in finishing my SAT essays in the framed time. No matter what I do, finishing the full 2 pages remains a major problem for me. Basically, I need a bit time to think and plan out how I would like to construct my essay; but that wasted time is the spoiler - there's no time for "thinking" just yet!

Barrons and Kaplan tell me to take time and do a bit of brainstorming at first, but that really can not be done so easily as they say - due to the time factor.

Can you please give me some suggestions as of how to at least complete the full 2 pages fast? If you want, we can discuss it in class in details.

Arman.

3 comments:

Arif_ABS said...

This I believe is a classic problem for SAT. We all come in front with this problem eventually and I specifically think ‘finding the perfect reference’ is a huge problem but yes since we only get 52 lines and 25 minutes for essay writing we can only spend 2-3 minutes on brainstorming.
But honestly! how many can do that???
So, I think only practice can only solve this problem. Doing multiple essays in a single day might be a solution to this particular problem. Try it out it helped me improve my speed and you might find this helpful yourself.
(This was my opinion but I would like to hear what others have to say about this.)

Anonymous said...

Propositions from Barrons and Kaplan regarding the issue of essay writing are nothing but “absurd jokes!”
25 minutes and 52 lines, there is literally no time to waste! Nonetheless, before commencing, conceptualizing the entire topic before constructing the essay can turn out to be quite expedient; for that, we can take 2-3 minutes utmost.
I don’t do “brain-storming” before starting an essay; I start writing about whatever that comes into my mind and develop my ideas as I move on. But yes, I highly depend upon the references to fight against the fleeting time. Among all the reading items we have done so far, I have hashed out 20 such texts that are loaded with different sorts of themes so that they cover almost all the issues that often pop up within the essay topics. Some of the “great life-savers” of all time are- Macbeth, Moby Dick, Julius Caesar, The Great Gatzby and so on. I read these chosen texts over and over again so that I can recall the themes easily and start writing without thinking and wasting time.
P.S: Writing cannot stop! To me, this entire arrangement is not intellectually taxing; it’s more of a physical challenge. Completing 52 lines in 25 minutes is what counts at the end of the day.
This is what I do for writing essays. I hope that you people will find it handy :\
ADIT.

Anonymous said...

What I think is a common essay writing strategy should be plotted and applied. No matter what the topic is we must write essays with prepared common plot.
Priti