Tuesday 18 October 2011

Of Creative Writing and Majoring in Maths


Hello Sir,


If I could come up with fair words to apologize for not staying in touch, I would be a proper poet. My mother however, has eased the process somewhat. I can only hope that the news I bring you will do the trick.


As you have heard from my mother, I visited Washington DC for 'Career Exploration Day'. I got to join a group of students from Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges and visit four alumni in their respective offices. The first Alumnae we met works for a thriving Non-Profit organization, the second one is a Professor at John Hopkins University and has authored books with intimidating covers on International affairs; the third alumnae works for the Department of State and the fourth one works at the United Nations Foundation. All of them gave me an odd smile when I said that I'm a Math Major and considered my Creative Writing minor to be a redeeming quality. All of them also agreed that writing is one of the most valuable skills for a student to acquire. A Liberal Arts education rarely prepares us for specific jobs, but it teaches us how to learn and adapt. There is a unique way to approach each class offered here and we learn how to figure it out every time. In essence, we learn how to learn, we learn how to write and that's about it. But these alumni made sure we realize how powerful this makes us.


In other news, being bilingual has incredible benefits. I am sure you realize this better than I do, but growing up with two different languages makes possible the formation of unique stylistic strategies and a finer control over articulation. My Creative Writing professor, J. C. Todd is beginning to develop an appreciation for the Bengali Language, for Tagore and for Bangladesh and I refuse to be modest in my claims for being a part of this.


The past two years at Bryn Mawr have been insane to say the least. I went from being the girl who never leaves her house to the Bryn Mawr lady who spends each day of Fall Break in a different city (I kid you not). None of this was easy and I'm not sure if I would to do this again given the chance, but I'm here now. I am deeply in love with Bryn Mawr and frighteningly indebted to you.


I hope for all your wishes to materialize. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.


Thank you Sir,
Anika


PS:


Note the perfect graphology.


Mamun

No comments: