Wednesday 28 September 2011

Art and its Legitimacy


Dearest Anika [Anlophiles student 2009-2010],

How are you dear. I miss my conversations with you.

Thanks a lot for inviting me to the Sadhana Tasher Desh show. I wanted to see this show last time but could not make it.

But this time another problem surfaced. You see all my life I have been trying to make theatre accessible to everyone. One of our strategy is to keep the cost lowest of the low. If I want to see a play with my family, I can buy 5 best seats with just 500 Taka. But with the Shadhana show the price will be so high that I am left with no other option but to revert my decision.

I am sure there are so many 'reasons' to keep the price high. But SHadhana claims that they have already received generous support from "Corporate" Masters. It seems that the whole show has been created "of the [Corporate] slaves, for the [Corporate] slaves, and by the [Corporate] slaves". The whole project smacks of elitism, anti-populist feeling, and a fallacious thinking that propaganda-infested Art entails the highest value.

Therefore, in spite of my all desires - I can not attend the program. However, if Sadhana offers me any ticket at a reduced rate [500 taka for 5 best seats] - I will be happy to attend.

My best wishes and blessings for all your personal achievements in the world of Dance and Creativity.

PS: I am posting this message on our blog - expecting a debate shall ensue.

Shahidul Mamun

No comments: