Wednesday 15 June 2011

Dear Everyone from our SAT Class - I just spent a day filled with anger and frustration at the way out best young minds THINK

However, some of my depression was erased after I got a few responses through mail. The following is one by Protik.


Dear Sir,... ... ...



I had given some thought to the events of today's class and the discussion we had regarding the recent tragic incident involving Professor Rumana Manzur. Today, I realised how a small class of some 15 students depicts the true image of our entire society. It was proven how foolish we actually are. We are ready to accept anything stated by one dominating figure (a role you acted so amazingly, Sir), without even trying to analyse if the reasons provided are valid! I am very ashamed of myself. I always thought I would be able to stand up for what is right even when I am powerfully influenced not to. Today, I was proven wrong. I am just another educated fool out there.

What her husband had done to Professor Manzur was absolutely wrong. Yes, he might have been provoked. Yes, he might have had his reasons. But whatever the reasons, he had no right to torture his wife to blindness like that! This is worse than murder! This should have struck my mind the moment you told us about the incident. I feel like an idiot now. If a lawyer ever fights the husband's case, and the judgement goes to his favour, I will be deeply shocked and saddened by the actions of the lawyer and the judge. However, I will also remind myself of how I was derailed to a similar judgement myself!

Thank you for making me realise so much today. I believe, in future, I will be able to use today's lesson to decide between what is right and what is wrong without getting carried away by the wrong reasons provided by an overshadowing figure.

Protik





ANOTHER POST BY ZARAT



Today's class was devastating-how easily we all agreed to be anti-feminists!  But let me congratulate you on your excellent acting abilities; I was completely taken in! You were very convincing.
 
I hadn't read the whole incident (Torture of Rumana Manzur by her husband), so on coming home, my first job was to hunt it down in the newspaper.I'll be very honest about what I felt and thought today when we were discussing this issue in class. When I had first heard about the incident roughly, I felt revolted at the husband for his misconduct. I'd entered class with strong hatred for her husband but at one point, (and I'm ashamed to admit this) actually thought the wife shared a part of his blame. To tell the truth, when you started with the 'provocation' theory, I told myself, "It's a trap." I honestly did. But then you started pushing it and everyone in the class seemed to agree, and I thought to myself, "Maybe he is right." This just goes to show how easily I can be tilted by other's thoughts and opinions, no matter how unjustified they are. Maybe this is a weakness of my character.
 
I was struggling with the thought; the fact that the husband is 100% guilty becoming the weaker arguement in my mind every moment. Akila trying to weakly defend herself and you putting her down didn't help either. And soon I was taken in by your confident opinion about 'provocation' being one of the causes. (I never really believed complete innocence of the husband).
 
I did not think once that 'violence is never justified'; although I have held this belief for a long time. But it was so fragile that it could be easily broken. Another thing that I didn't do was, simply put me in her position and think it through. If I was in her shoes, with such a prestigious job and the promise of a bright future, the husband and my child being dependent on me, I would have thrown the husband out if he had beat me up regularly. At least I'd tell my parents who are likely to do the same. I wouldn't have cared at all for the society which believes I should endure it. Being an educated, independent, earning woman I have a strong claim in respect from my husband, if not appreciation.
 
He should be worshipping her: she was providing for him and his child and doing such a respectable job, and most importantly, tolerating the fact that her husband is a good-for-nothing fellow with no job, and no ability to provide for his family!
 
I am truly ashamed indeed but I am ready to learn.
 
This email is longer than I had intended it to be. I had a lot more to say but it is not healthy for me to spend so much time on this 1 day before the exam. Hope you don't mind my 'rantings'.
 
Thank you.

Zarat.

No comments: